Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Play this track then read the following passage to get a feel for the tone of this campaign.
“Call it what you will – a revelation from god, or a curse of the demon king. The fact remains that our world came to an end. A heretic called upon an unearthly light, and devastation ensued. Chaos crawled out of the depths of the ocean, from the black abyss. Death upon death… Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here. A voice in the dark beguiles me, “Truth is a mystery, unraveled by the candles’ flames.”
The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World
1. What game system are you running and if applicable what edition?
D&D 5th Edition
2. What ‘type’ or variant of game will it be ? What is the setting for the game?
This will be a homebrew, roleplay heavy campaign based off the videogame, SMT: Nocturne. Set in post-apocalyptic Tokyo, the entire population of the world is annihilated by a global catastrophe called the Conception. Now, the fate of the entire world lies on the shoulders of a handful of students, who must battle their way through demonic forces to bring order to the world to come… or possibly become the harbinger of its destruction.
3. How many Players are you looking for?
However many want to play.
4. What is the characters’ starting status?
Each player will start out as a teenage student (transferred or native) living in Tokyo. Eventually you will have a demon form that you will turn into for the rest of the game.
5. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Every player can start with as much Yen (Japanese Currency) as they want for their character.
6. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want… or do not want?
Each character’s abilities will be determined by their Magatama, living parasites that grant their host demonic powers.
7. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game?
Everyone will start out as a human but will turn into a demon for the rest of the game. What exactly that form looks like is entirely up to you. Let your imagination run wild.
8. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
All this info will be controlled by me so don’t you worry your pretty little heads about it. As long as you bring your imagination, then I’ll deal with all the math.
9. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Yes this is an alignment heavy campaign. All characters will start out neutral but their alignment will change as the game goes on.
10. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Each character’s abilities will be determined by their Magatama and whatever skills they choose to have in their repertoire.
11. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about?
- Yesterday’s foe is today’s ally! Persuade over 100 different demons to join your party. Some demons may evolve into new forms on their own or fuse them to form even more powerful demons.
- Customize your character with Magatama, living parasites that grant the host demonic powers!
- Depending on the choices you make, you’ll follow one of several ideologies which will ultimately determine the fate of the entire world!
12. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular?
It’s not required though it would only benefit you if you made one. You’ll get further attached to your character and it will be easier to decipher your character’s motives and actions. Any backstories crafted may also have an impact on the larger story.
13. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
50% Roleplaying, 45% Hack & Slash, 5% Puzzlesolving
14. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements?
There will be no books. The game will be entirely in our imagination.